The Tour d’Afrique Foundation is an integral part of our company vision. The foundation was set up at the same time as the Tour d’Afrique Bicycle Race/Expedition to fulfill key elements of our mission:
- To give something back to the people and the communities of the areas that we pass through on our cycling tours.
- To raise consciousness about bicycles as an alternative and, in many ways, better and more beneficial means of transport.
To fulfill these objectives the company has focused on:
- donating bikes to individuals and organizations in Africa
- supporting bicycle advocacy and promoting projects that protect the environment
- encouraging participants in the tour to raise funds for their favored charity whether in their home country or in Africa or both
When it comes to raising consciousness about the bicycle as an alternative mean of transport, we feel that simply by having riders complete the 12,000 km journey year after year, the Tour d’Afrique and our other tours makes an impressive and significant point about bicycles and their potential use. To quote the writer Iris Murdoch; “The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.”
The Company’s Contribution to our Foundation
Every year, TDA Global Cycling, through the Foundation and its local partner organizations, donates one new or refurbished bicycle for every full tour rider on the tours where we have partners. These donations are typically made to community development and health care workers or to bicycle related charities. We also at times make monetary donations to initiatives that encourage the use of bicycles. A list of all the local organizations that have received donations to date can be found here. To see other organizations that riders have raised money for through their cycling adventure, click here.