July 23, 2019
July 23, 2019
2020 Hippie Trail – A Return To The Taj Mahal & New Dates
“In six weeks, the Hippie Trail took us through varied Indian geography, UNESCO world heritage sites, and towns and cities rich in medieval history. What was really amazing was to arrive tired, dirty and sweaty on your bicycle at a majestic medieval fort or palace, get cleaned up, and spend the night there.”- Rae Simpson, 2019 Hippie Trail
We are very happy to announce the return of the very popular Hippie Trail cycling tour in 2020 with 2 major improvements.
Return To Agra
We have returned to Agra and the incomparable Taj Mahal for the start of the 2020 Hippie Trail. Riders should arrive in this historic city a few days ahead of their scheduled departure in order to explore some of Agra’s other incredible sights:
- Agra Fort – one of the best examples of a Mughal fort in the country
- Mehtab Bagh – restored gardens along the Yamuna River offer some of the best views of the Taj Mahal
- Itimad-ud-Daulah – the ‘baby Taj’ and the first Mughal structure built completely from marble
- Kinari Bazaar – located behind the Jama Masjid, this market offers an intense local shopping experience
- Akbar’s Mausoleum – about 10km out of town, this beautiful mausoleum honours India’s greatest Mughal Emperor, Akbar, who ruled from 1556-1605
- Fatehpur Sikri – 40km west of Agra, this sprawling ancient city is worth the effort to get there. Emperor Akbar moved his capital here from 1572 – 1585. It features a gorgeous mosque that is still in use and abandoned courtyards, pavilions and palaces.
"Turn on, tune in, Drop out" It was 1967 - the Summer of Love - and Timothy Leary had this advice for his young followers at the Human Be-In taking...
Change Of Dates
The Hippie Trail has traditionally started in late January but that time of year meant the possibility of some cool, rainy, misty days at the beginning of the tour in Rajasthan. By changing the starting date to mid-November we are cycling during the best weather of the year. As Lonely Planet puts it for the months of November & December, “The climate is blissful…You’re guaranteed glorious weather.”
“The Hippie Trail…gave me the freedom to appreciate an age old mix of spiritual cultures, smiling people and open friendliness. I felt truly blessed each day.” – Gennesse Beadman, 2019 Hippie Trail