SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
If we have described a tour as e-bike friendly it means that it is possible to use your e-bike on the tour. The tours that are e-bike friendly will have access to charging facilities each evening for e-bike batteries.
Typically, the majority of participants are riding non-electric bikes.
There are a few key points regarding e-bikes to consider if you are planning to bring one:
- Limited spaces are available for e-bike riders. Please click here to let us know what kind of e-bike you plan to ride, and we’ll let you know if space is available, and if your bike is suitable for the tour.
- Tour support is based on non-ebike speeds of travel and so e-bikers who get ahead of our support may need to slow down or wait patiently.
- It has to be pedal assist – this means that the bike will provide electrical battery assistance only when the bicycle is pedaled, and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles/ 32 km per hour. No e-scooter, or non-pedalling type electric machines allowed.
- Our mechanic on tour is not able to fix any electrical / battery issues. They can assist you with troubleshooting and will help you make a plan for visiting a bicycle shop on route.
- E-bikes should be using a Bosch or Shimano battery system, as they are the most dependable and widely available. If your e-bike is not using these systems, please check with us as to whether your battery system is suitable.
- It is recommended to bring a spare e-bike battery, which you could swap out at our ½ way lunch spot each day. If you do not have a spare, your battery should be able to last for the full day’s ride (our office can give you an example of a tougher / longer day on tour). As with all riders on the tour, it is the expectation that you will cycle full days. Seating space on our tour vehicles is limited and is first held for ill or injured participants.
- E-bike batteries cannot be carried as regular luggage on airplanes. You will likely need to send it separately as cargo.
- You should already be experienced riding an e-bike before the tour. Take into account that e-bikes are heavier, and can be quicker, and so crashes involving e-bikes tend to have more serious consequences.
- E-bike must weigh no more than 27kg with the battery installed.
Leave a Comment for "E-bike policy"