Why Would Someone Choose a Fully Supported Tour Instead of Doing it Solo?
Planning a tour might seem simple and easy at first thought. You get some gear, your bike, a map or Garmin computer and figure it out along the way. This can definitely work in some cases, depending on where you are going and what sort of adventure you are looking for. Many of our participants have done both types of touring and they often say sometimes it’s nice to do it on your own but sometimes you want and need to do it with support.
I recently sat down to chat with Sheelagh, a Holistic Nutritionist and bicycle traveller to discuss the differences between solo cycle touring and fully supported. Check out the video and then read below for more details about what’s included in a fully supported tour with TDA Global Cycling.
Here at TDA every tour begins with an idea and then our office staff get busy planning everything to make it happen. It requires a lot of time, effort and expertise to make a long tour successful. We are more often than not busy scouting, analyzing and researching routes. We try to go over every little detail needed to create a memorable, fun, challenging and safe tour.
When you decide to join us on a tour this is everything included in your entry fee:
- All accommodations during the tour (plus the night before the tour begins)
- Most dinners and breakfasts (not on rest days and evenings before rest days)
- All roadside lunches on riding days (plus afternoon soup on Expedition-level tours)
- Experienced chef (on camping tours)
- A vehicle to carry your bags (and you if you need a break!)
- GPS tracks & route notes
- Experienced tour leader (the best of the best)
- Bike mechanic
- Medic (as needed)
- Sweep rider and other support staff
- Additional local support staff such as guides, drivers and translators as needed
- Tour jersey (most tours)
- Commemorative tour medal (most tours)
- Celebratory final dinner (full tour participants)
- Pre-tour information bulletins (everything you need to prepare for the tour)
- Pre-tour rider discussion forum
- Assistance at the start and end with unpacking/packing your bike
We also have a dedicated customer support team to assist every registered rider before the tour with any questions, concerns or advice to get ready for the tour.
You can definitely plan a tour yourself and go solo, but you can also decide to join us and have everything taken care of for you. Best of all, you can do both. But when you do choose to take the fully supported option, we hope you consider doing it with us.